Harry S. Truman Presidential Library & Museum Entryway Renovation

Harry S. Truman Presidential Library & Museum Entryway Renovation

The Truman Presidential Library is 1 of 14 presidential libraries and was the first created under the 1955 Presidential Libraries Act. The building itself was built by the Harry S. Truman Library, Inc. and dedicated in 1957. Subsequent renovations in 1968 and 1980 built out the complex to a total of 100,000 sf. The current configuration is a roughly circular shape with a central courtyard where President and Mrs. Truman are buried along with their only child Margaret and her husband Clifton Daniel. 
 
As the Truman Library looks to the future, there are many needs and opportunities that can be achieved with additional gallery space and a new East Entry for the facility. The Clark Enersen Partners was selected as the architectural team for this work and our focus has been to achieve a clear and secure entry point for the facility along with a new gallery and collection space. This new 21,000-square-foot addition, along with interior renovations, will allow for much needed improved traffic flow of visitor access to the building as well as functionality of exhibit traffic flow. The new entry will also function as event space along with adjacent conference room space that will be made more open and flexible for a variety of event sizes and occasions. Most importantly, the planned improvements for the Truman Library echo the desires of President Truman himself in that an understated elegance is held in high regard and access should be for everyone.