Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum Renovations
The Harry S. Truman Presidential Library is one of 14 presidential libraries nationwide, and the first created under the 1955 Presidential Libraries Act. The building itself was built by the Harry S. Truman Library, Inc., and dedicated in 1957. Subsequent renovations in 1968 and 1980 built out the complex to a total of 100,000 square feet (SF). The configuration is a roughly circular shape with a central courtyard where the former president and first lady, Bess Truman, are buried along with their only child Margaret Truman Daniel and her husband Clifton Daniel.
With the presidential library looking to the future, our firm was selected to design a new gallery space and new entry for the facility. Our focus was to achieve a clear and secure entry point for the facility along with the new gallery and collection space.
This new addition, along with interior renovations, created a much-needed and improved traffic flow of visitor access as well as greater functionality of exhibit traffic flow. The new entry also serves as event space along with adjacent conference room space that is more open and flexible to a support a variety of event sizes and occasions.
Most importantly, the improvements for the Truman Library and Museum echo the desires of President Truman himself—an understated elegance is held in high regard and access should be for everyone.
Stats and Results
- Kansas City Business Journal, Capstone Awards – Architectural Design, 2022